Thursday, October 14, 2010

Potato and Leek Soup: Perfect for a Rainy Day


A couple of years ago, I came across Julia Child's recipe for Potage Parmentier and was floored. I'd never had a leek that I knew of and this soup was an instant favorite for me. After making it for the first time, I basically had the recipe memorized. Dead simple, relatively quick, this recipe is perfect for the rainy day we had on the east coast today. Here's my potato and leek soup, from memory. Let's do this!



All you need are the following: 4 red potatoes.. or a pound of potatoes, a leek, and a tablespoon of salt. I was out of heavy cream, so half and half was a nice substitute to add at the end (but definitely use the cream if you can!!). Or you could add a tablespoon of butter. No big, but sometimes I put both. ~indulge~


So, first you take a leek, which I trimmed the dark leaves off of. Cut it down the middle, lengthwise, and rinse thoroughly. Leeks are dirty vegetables.


After you peel and dice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces (or before, of course), thinly slice the leek.


In with the salt, leek, and potato. JC calls for 8 cups of water, but I used 6 since I'm usually the only person eating it. All of it :]

Boil for about 40-45 minutes. Do something, be productive! However, I just played with my bb girls:






It seems some scum-like foam appears after a little bit of boiling. I don't know what it is, I don't care, but I just skim it off for the sole reason that it skeeves me out. You'll see.

After about 40-45 minutes of boiling, salt and pepper to taste. Then, take either a fork or a potato masher/ricer/whatever and smash up the potato, if you like. Spoon into a bowl and add some heavy cream/butter half and half, mmm.



Some crusty bread, a glass of chardonnay? Perfect rainy day lunch, bbs!

Potato Leek Soup

1 lb. potatoes (~4-5 small/medium ones), skinned and diced
1-2 leeks, sliced and rinsed
2 qt. (8 cups) water
1 tbsp. salt
pepper
heavy cream or softened butter, to taste

1. In a large pot, combine the diced potatoes, the sliced leeks, and the salt. Add the water.
2. Boil rapidly on high heat for 45 minutes, when the potatoes are soft enough to be slightly mashed. Stir and skim off whatever that is on the top occasionally.
3. Off the heat and take a fork or something similar and slightly smash the potatoes.
4. Once spooned into a bowl, add the cream or butter (or both) and pepper. Stir to combine.
5. Enjoy :)

No comments :

Post a Comment