Saturday, November 20, 2010

This is turning into a food blog FAST: My Mom's Heavenly Hamburg


This is my favorite-favorite thing my mom makes. I mean of all time. Okay, before I get ahead of myself,  this is called Heavenly Hamburg and it's basically a noodle, meat sauce, and cheese casserole. And I mean basically. It's really easy and after it's done, amazing. The best part is how much better it is reheated the next day. omggg, here we go:



Take about 1 lb. ground beef and brown in a large nonstick pan for about 7-10 minutes, until.. brown. Try not to eat them :\.



Drain in the sink- disregard spoons! Put back in the pan on the heat.


Add a can of chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper (to taste) and stir. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until the tomato juice is thickened.



My mother! Hey, Jill.


Take a whole thing of sour cream (ours is kosher!) and mix with one package of cream cheese until smooth. 


This is what it should look like.


This is what your sauce should look like.


After you boil 3/4 a bag of egg noodles for about 5 minutes or til al dente, this is what they'll look like, too! Now, assemble in a deep casserole dish with shredded cheddar cheese on hand.


Noodles first, s. cream/ c. cheese second...


Sauce...


Cheddar and repeat.






When full, get your little brother to top it off with more cheese and bake in the oven, covered, at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

When it's finished and bubbling, let it sit for a few minutes because it's SUPER hot. Believe me. Then ladle it like pasta into a bowl. Try to get as many layers as possible ;).



The best thing about having it the next day, reheated, is that it sticks together and holds the layers into shape. I love mashing them up with my fork before I inhale the entire plateful.

No comments :

Post a Comment