Monday, July 11, 2011

"If Patton were alive, he would slap your face!"


Private Benjamin is my GIRL. Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, it's so necessary. I mean, we all knew Goldie Hawn was ~flawless~, but this really proves it.

Okay, so, the backstory: I remember watching this with my mother when I was pretty young.. like, 8-10 years old. At the time, my mother was in the Army and she had blonde, curly hair. To me, Private Benjamin was totally my mom (my mom hated this comparison, by the way).

Goldie Hawn plays preppy Judy Benjamin, a woman widowed after her husband has a heart attack during sex on their wedding night. She then calls into a radio show, crying about how she's never been single before (womp womp, Goldie!) and how she can't be alone. So this man calls in and tells her about this fabulous deal called the US Army where she can join and live in a condo and hang out. Swayed by the traumatizing death of her husband, she gives up her kind of amazing 80s wardrobe to become Private Benjamin. 

You can guess what happens next, but I'll tell you anyway. Boot camp is boot camp and Benjamin is confused, insisting, "I think they sent me to the wrong place... See, I did join the army, but I joined a different army. I joined the one with the condos and the private rooms."

This movie is amazing! There are so many classic scenes, like the one pictured above. Escaping over a fence, her commanding officer (Eileen Brennan) yells "You're not fit to wear that uniform!" to which Private Benjamin replies, "No shit."

No comments :

Post a Comment